No Bull, Just Results

Attorney Sanga Turnbull

What Type of Doctors Should I Visit Following a Car Accident in FL?

On Behalf of | Jan 26, 2021 | Personal Injury

As a rule of thumb, it is always best to seek medical attention right after a car accident, even if you feel absolutely fine. Visiting a doctor will not only help diagnose your injury as soon as possible but will also help strengthen your personal injury claim in the long run.

But what type of doctors should you see following the crash? Below, we will explain what doctors you should visit to diagnose and treat your injuries after a car accident in Florida.

Going to an emergency room (ER)

Many people mistakenly believe that they should only visit an emergency room if they suffered life-threatening injuries in a car crash or if they lost consciousness and need to be transported to the ER.

However, it’s actually advised to go to an emergency room as a first step immediately after any car accident. Victims of car crashes can receive urgent medical care and evaluation by visiting an emergency room.

Also, you have the opportunity to bill your insurance company directly from the emergency room to seek reimbursement through the Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage.

In most cases, car accident victims who go to an emergency room immediately after the crash are advised to follow up with their primary care physician.

Visiting your primary care physician

After visiting an emergency room to receive an immediate evaluation of your injuries, the second step is to schedule an appointment with your primary care physician.

Your physician knows you better, is aware of your pre-existing injuries and conditions, and can conduct a physical exam based on your medical history and post-accident symptoms.

Depending on your symptoms after the car accident, your primary care physician may refer you to another medical specialist for a more thorough evaluation.

During the physical exam, your physician may prescribe medication, recommend physical therapy, or order additional tests such as MRI or CT.

Visiting a medical specialist

If your injuries are serious or the primary care physician cannot diagnose your condition, they may refer you to another medical specialist who focuses on the specific area of the body that was injured in the crash.

For example, if the primary care physician has reason to believe that you may have suffered a traumatic brain injury (TBI), they will refer you to a neurologist or another specialized medical professional to perform a thorough evaluation.

Going to physical therapy

Your primary care physician may also order physical therapy to help alleviate pain following the car accident or restore function and mobility. Usually, victims of car crashes need to attend several physical therapy sessions over the course of time.

Keep records of your medical treatment and all your appointments and trips to an ER, primary care physician, medical specialists, and physical therapy. You need to keep track of your medical bills in order to be able to seek compensation later on.

After seeking medical attention after a car accident, contact a Lakeland personal injury attorney to review your case and determine whether you can recover damages. Speak with our lawyer at The Turnbull Firm during a free initial consultation. Call at 863-324-3500.