Winter Haven Slip & Fall
All property owners and those who control the properties have a responsibility to maintain their premises for invited guests. This obligation extends to stores, restaurants, malls, hotels, homeowners, public spaces, and more. When owners fail to maintain their premises, it can result in someone being injured. If you suffered injuries after a slip and fall on someone else’s property, you need to speak with an experienced Winter Haven slip & fall attorney right away.
Injuries resulting from slip and fall accidents are often severe or even catastrophic. At The Turnbull Firm, our Florida premises liability attorneys have years of experience helping injured victims recover compensation from slip and fall accidents.
Proving Liability in a Slip and Fall Accident
To bring a successful claim for damages in a slip and fall accident, you must be able to prove liability against the responsible parties. If a dangerous condition caused your accident, you must show that the property owner had knowledge, or should’ve known about the hazard. The main steps in the process of establishing liability in a premises liability case include:
- Duty or Obligation: The property owner must owe a duty to the victim. For example, a grocery store has an obligation to keep its floors clean from spills.
- Breach or Violation of That Duty: If the owner or property operator does owe the victim a duty, they must have breached that obligation. In the case of the grocery store spill, it means they didn’t clean up a spill or left it unmarked or unattended.
- Victim Sustained Injuries: If the victim sustained injuries due to the breach of duty, then they may be entitled to recover compensation for their damages. This compensation can include reimbursement for current and future medical expenses, current and future loss of earnings, pain and suffering, and more.
In the event the victim dies due to their injuries, immediate family members might have the right to bring a wrongful death claim.
Common Types of Slip and Fall Accidents
When you retain a skilled Winter Haven slip and fall accident attorney, we will help you determine whether you have a valid premises liability claim. Some of the most common causes of slip and fall accidents include:
- Uncleaned spills with no warnings
- Slippery and wet floors and parking lots
- Sidewalks with cracks or raised sections
- Water or ice in an entrance
- Carpets or rugs that are unsecured
- Lack of adequate lighting
- Broken rails on a staircase
- Loose tiles or other uneven flooring surfaces
- Unmarked sudden elevation changes on the floor
- Small, hidden steps
Hazards can present themselves anywhere. You could be walking into a government building or a hotel restaurant parking lot when you unexpectedly fall. Don’t attempt to pursue a claim on your own, let an experienced attorney guide you through the legal process.
Contact a Winter Haven Slip & Fall Attorney Today
If you need assistance with a premises liability claim in Florida, let our Winter Haven slip and fall accident attorneys help. Contact The Turnbull Firm today to schedule an initial consultation.