Lakeland Motorcycle Accidents
When motorcyclists are involved in traffic collisions, they are not protected by a steel shell the way automobile drivers are. They are directly exposed to whatever hazards come their way, and they often have to make split-second decisions in response to unexpected roadway conditions. Moreover, insurance providers and other motorists naturally assume that bikers are reckless simply because they choose to ride a motorcycle. Even the most careful, law-abiding, experienced, and sensible biker can wind up in a serious accident, losing a limb or even their lives due to the carelessness of other drivers on the road.
At The Turnbull Firm, we do not prejudge. We represent motorcycle riders who have been injured or killed in auto accidents, seeking to recover the damages they are owed just as we would any other injured motorist. We will hear your story, investigate your crash, build your case, and fight for your rights against insurance companies, defense attorneys for at-fault drivers, and anyone else responsible for harming you or your family. We also represent other drivers or pedestrians who are injured by negligent bikers. If you were hurt in a Lakeland motorcycle crash, our Central Florida personal injury team is here to help.
What Causes Florida Motorcycle Accidents?
Motorcycle accidents are often a bit different than other traffic collisions. While many of the same factors contribute to motorcycle crashes as those that lead to passenger car accidents, motorcycles also present unique challenges and risk factors. Some of the common factors leading to motorcycle accidents include:
- Poor road or weather conditions. Rain, fog, sleet, snow, and ice are all common contributors to motorcycle crashes.
- Door accidents. Passenger car drivers who open their doors without checking for traffic in either direction may clip a biker or impede their path of travel, leading to a wreck.
- Failure to check blind spots. Motorcycles are harder to see and are often hidden by blind spots. Drivers who are not taking appropriate care while on the road are likely to miss the presence of a biker and cause a crash.
- Driver or rider intoxication. Drunk drivers are likely to swerve into unseen bikers or fail to give them the appropriate berth given alcohol’s negative effects on perception. Moreover, drunk driving is unfortunately common among all drivers, and motorcycle riders are no exception.
- Lane splitting or “white-lining.” Bikers use their narrow frame to slip between cars in order to avoid heavy traffic. Cutting between slower vehicles and darting between lanes is extremely dangerous and is likely to lead to a disaster. Note that lane splitting is not legal in Florida, although it became legal recently in California. Florida and other states may follow suit.
- Inexperienced bikers. Operating a motorcycle takes more care, practice, and split-second decision making than operating a standard car. New bikers are more likely to get into a wreck than are more experienced riders.
- Drowsy or distracted drivers. Passenger car drivers who get behind the wheel without sufficient sleep, or who engage in dangerous behavior such as texting while driving, are likely to cause a distracted driving crash.
Motorcycle Crash Injures
Motorcycle accidents can be some of the most dangerous and deadly. Bikers do not have the benefit of a steel frame protecting them; they are directly exposed to other vehicles, the road, and other high-speed impacts. Motorcyclists, in fact, face 28 times the risk of a traffic fatality than do other motorists. Other common, catastrophic injuries in motorcycle accidents include:
- Head and brain trauma
- Skin damage and other lacerations (“road rash”)
- Broken or fractured bones
- Organ damage
- Back, neck, and spine damage
- Permanent scarring
Any one of these injuries can lead to heavy medical costs, time off work, temporary or permanent disability, loss of bodily functions, and even loss of life. If you have been seriously injured in a Central Florida motorcycle accident, the passionate and talented motorcycle accident lawyer at The Turnbull Firm will help you get your medical bills paid and your pain and suffering compensated. If a negligent driver hurt you while riding your motorcycle, you deserve compensation.
Call a Dedicated Lakeland Motorcycle Accident Attorney After a Florida Motorcycle Crash
If you or a loved one has been injured in a motorcycle accident in Central Florida, call the seasoned and effective Lakeland motorcycle accident attorney at The Turnbull Firm for help bringing your claims. You and your family have the right to compensation for the harm you have suffered, and our Florida personal injury law firm can help. Contact our Lakeland motorcycle crash lawyer today for a free consultation.